Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Freedom Writers Response
Choose one of the following prompts and respond:
• Describe how writing in journals helps transform the lives of the students. How
does writing “free” the students from their pain?
• Do you or have you ever kept a diary? If so, why do/did you write? Do/did you
write about events, or emotions or both?
• Why do you think Ms. Gruwell makes the effort to take her students on field
trips to museums and treats them to fancy dinners, new books and computers?
How do these “luxuries” impact the students?
• Have you ever been treated to something special or out of the ordinary? How
did it make you feel?
• Describe a school trip or after-school outing that had a significant impact on
you. How did it make you feel? Compare this experience to traditional learning
within the boundaries of the classroom.
• Ms. Gruwell gives her students the opportunity to find success and graduate.
Do you think the students continued along the path of success without Ms.
Gruwell by their side? Why or why not?
• Ms. Gruwell is a shining role model and source of encouragement for her
students. Who is your role-model or biggest motivator in life? Who pushes you
to succeed? If this person does not exist, what would you want this person to
• Erin Gruwell is determined to create a positive learning environment in which
her students learn about tolerance and are able to succeed. She endures
many obstacles on her path to achieving this goal. Do you have a goal that
you wish to attain? What steps are you taking or want to take in order to meet
this goal? What adversity have you encountered or anticipate on encountering
towards this path?
Posted by Ms. Juma at 11:17 AM